Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Green stuff

I do not understand the celebration of St Patty's day in the USA as most people do not know why they celebrate this other than having the color green and perhaps something like fake gold. The most common is the excuse to drink, with green food coloring in your beer. Good excuses for drinking have been New Years, St Patty's Day, and Wednesday night before Thanksgiving (more often known as 'turkey day' now). I won't be wearing green tomorrow and look forward to getting punches on the arm for this.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Dan, don't reject your Irish heritage. OK, getting stupid & fiesty drunk is not the best part, but we do have the underdog attitude. I also reject the American-green-beer-makes-the-party stupidity, but Celtic Rock RULES! Let's get the party started.

Phil said...

A lot of people don't know why they celebrate holidays or what significance days of remembrance hold. A lot of my Jewish friends growing up didn’t know that Yom Kipper is the biggest of their holidays… many Christians don’t really know the difference between Palm Sunday, Good Friday, or Easter Sunday, and then there are some who only attend Church on these type of days… I think we, humans, need excesses to relax or let loose; I don’t have any reason to celebrate anything on Saint Patrick’s day, but if offered a beer or receive an invite to a party I will gladly celebrate. I take it more as Irish pride day. (If any one pinches or punches me they can expect an equal return of force)

Phil said...

*Kippur