Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Guns

I am currently about 1/5 into a book by Steven King called "Cell"



It isn't his best work but good enough that I am going to finish it. Not giving anything 'away,' but what we have is an end of the world as we know it situation where there is some chaos or terror and police and regular safety are gone. One of the first things the people think is where can we find a gun, we need a gun. I found it laugh out loud amusing that the characters then try to think 'who has a gun?' and think of their neighbor with the NRA bumper sticker and the Bush/Cheney bumper stickers. They then think, he has guns! They suddenly changed their minds that perhaps this guy was right, that it is good to own a gun if you need it. I always find this interesting because clearly, when the police are gone and there is a crisis what are the first things people think of -- food, water, gun. When you hear people say that the 2nd amendment is wrong and we shouldn't have guns, I think they live in a dream world where everyone is nice and peaceful. People can become evil rather easily in chaos. While I don't have a gun in my house, I support my right to own one if I wanted one!

No comments: